Wednesday, May 13, 2015

xoxo with Made With Love

Hello friends!

It's good to be back from a much needed family holiday which we take once a year; just ourselves and enjoying our time together as a family. More because of the cold weather which we specifically said "NO MORE" but in the end couldn't resist. Now I'm sitting at my desk, in my singlets and shorts, breaking into a sweat with the fan on at full blast. Welcome home indeed LOL

Today I have a post with my LSS Made With Love, and I thought it would be a good time to make use of it to highlight certain things. A lot of students who take my mixed media classes at the store are new to the genre; some in fact have not done any scrapping before. But that did not stop them from being creative and surprising me with their gorgeous projects (I like to tell them to let go and just reproduce the techniques, not the sample). Still, it would be helpful to give a little introduction to what this whole mixed media thing is about.

So firstly, here is my inspiration layout. I have deliberately kept it as simple as I can so that some points are more obvious.

So what is mixed media? It is basically the use of more than one type of medium to create a piece of art; could be a layout, or canvas, art journal or altered item. To that definition, using gesso as a primer, followed by texture paste and then your mists would fall under the mixed media category - with texture paste and mists counting as two mediums. But simply priming your surface and then using 4 or 5 different colored sprays does not qualify as mixed media per se.

Another thing about mixed media is that it need not necessarily be heavily layered or appear complicated. In this layout alone, I have used a total of 9 different mediums, all of which are available from the Made With Love store. My layers come mainly from allowing one layer of medium to dry before applying on the next. Dimension-wise I have used at most cardboard pieces in place of foam dots to prop up my patterned paper. Otherwise, it would be a rather flat piece. 



Think you can identify all the 9 mediums used? Try before you scroll down to the end!

Some close-ups:



Believe it or not, the chipboard you see here alone (from Blue Fern Studios) has 4 mediums! I'll give you a clue- it's a mix of heat embossing and lots of painting... 


And here is the list of mediums (and products) used, all available from the store:

Old Gold Embossing Powder (Rangers)
UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel)
Color Lab Pigment Powder - Teal (Marion Smith)
Texture Paste (Rangers)
Versacolor Ink - Mauve
Distress Ink - Walnut Stain
Distress Stain - Worn Lipstick
Distress Paint - Victorian Velvet
Acrylic Paint - Black (Kaisercraft)

Patterned Papers - Websters Pages
Cardstock - American Crafts
Chipboards - Blue Fern Studios
Twine
Wire Trim - Prima
Word Stamp - Kaisercraft

And that's just the very basic introduction. If you would like to find out more about the mixed media genre of scrapbooking, do enquire at the store for more information about the workshops we have in store for you every month!

love,


5 comments:

  1. Fabulous Jelissa - a great summary of mixed media :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I was in Singapore...it would be such fun to come along to one of your classes!!! And my UTEE is sitting glaring at me on the shelf....saying WHY DON"T YOU PLAY WITH ME ANYMORE.....& now I feel guilty cos it's fun to play with....so thanks for inspiring me to get it out;)!!!! love the shoe LO, too. Classic :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing, would love to sit in one,of your classes! And so glad you had a lovely holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous and wow so many mediums. You make me feel so ashamed that i haven't played in so long. Hell I haven't visited anyone in so long. I am all done out now... probably wont get in the swing of things until I get back from holiday. :D

    ReplyDelete

thank you for dropping a note, it means so much to me!